Listening to music is an entertaining activity which can help students learn the target language and culture. Music and songs can be used in many different ways; here are a few ideas:
- A little music in the target language can relax and motivate you
- It can help to create the right atmosphere for more "serious" learning
- Students can study the lyrics of songs or try to write them down as they listen
- You can also read lyrics out aloud, sing along to the music, or invent your own
- The lyrics of some songs could be the starting-point for a discussion or a piece of written work.
- Learn a song by heart helps to memorise useful phrases, particularly songs with repetitive lyrics
- Try translating the lyrics of a song into your mother tongue
Whatever approach you adopt, the vast range of music available in most languages is a valuable resource for stimulating and enjoying the learning experience.
Here are a few useful links to different music companies:
Italian music: a good online selection from Amazon - you can buy CDs using your credit card now!